Sunday, October 1, 2023

Immersive Technology🎥

With less than a month to go until my National Geographic Lindblad expedition to Patagonia, expedition prep is fully underway. During my time at National Geographic Headquarters, I was able to participate in a breakout session with the extremely talented National Geographic Storytelling Team where I explored their 360 cameras along with VR headsets and learned how to utilize them for immersive experiences. I was instantly inspired! I headed back to school buzzing with excitement for the possibility of creating an immersive Patagonia experience. I spoke with my principal and superintendent who thankfully supported my zealous ideas and the next thing I knew I had a 360 camera and VR headset being delivered to my classroom.
Flash forward a few months and in my inbox is an email for National Geographic with their exciting news of an Immersive Technology Pilot Program. Seriously, just when you start thinking this can't get any more amazing, it gets more amazing. All the Grosvenor Teacher Fellows were invited to apply but there were only 10 spots plus a quick turnaround given many were heading out on expeditions. Well, I'm in France and not by a computer anytime soon so that night while on the top of the Arc de Triomphe waiting for the Eiffel Tower to sparkle, I typed my essay answers for the application on my notes app. When I got back to my hotel room and finally had wifi, I submitted my application and did a little prayer that even with that tiny phone font my spelling and formatting looked okay.
From left to right 1: Practing with my Insta360 x3 camera 2. Immersive technology gear on loan from National Geographic 3. Exploring the VR headset

A few weeks later, I finally got the news that I was lucky enough to gain one of the coveted spots and be a part of this pilot program. I still can't believe I got to put "Meeting with Nat Geo and Disney Immersive Team" on my calendar. Or that I currently have equipment on loan for National Geographic Headquarters which required me to sign some paperwork addressed to me as a National Geographic Explorer.  I'm telling you just when you think it can't get any better.
Behind the scenes of 360 shooting 
Since the summer I've been watching Insta360 video tutorials, participating in live trainings with the National Geographic and Disney Team, and spending countless hours practicing with my Insta360 x3 camera and VR headset. I’m ready (or as ready as I’ll be) to capture 360 videos on my National Geographic Lindblad expedition to this remote and seldom-touched land to create immersive resources for my students.

Check out your first 360 glimpse and take a look around my 4th grade classroom (a feat that took me a VERY long time to figure out how to code and post here). Stay tuned for much more to come...


No comments:

Post a Comment