Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Dream Big

"Dream big" is a commonly heard phrase in my 4th grade classroom. When I applied for the Grosvenor Teacher Fellowship it truly was a "dream big" moment. I knew the application pool would be competitive, I knew exemplary educators from around the world would be applying, and I knew there were hundreds (sometimes even thousands) of educators who apply but I decided to dream BIG. 

After hours of perfectly crafting essay answers, a video submission with a myriad of retakes, an updated resume, and application question answers that cramped as much as possible into the allotted characters as possible my application was ready for submission. Then I waited and waited and waited.  And sure enough, waited some more. I had waited so long at this point that I actually started recrafting my essay answers in my head to make my application stronger for next time. Then it happened...THE CALL

It was the last day of February vacation and I was in the middle of making appetizers when my phone rang. Usually, my phone is on silent but I had just turned the sound on in anticipation of guests. I leaned over and saw an unknown number from Minnesota. With food covered hands I let it go to voicemail.

Sure enough, my phone rings again showing an unknown Minnesota number. You guessed it, I still didn't answer the call but this time I had a new voicemail. At this point, I finally washed my hands to figure out who was calling. "Hi, I'm calling from National Geographics-." That's it, that's all of the voicemail I listened to. I threw the heat off my stove and immediately called back. Could this seriously be happening?  

This is where it gets a little blurry as I was freaking out so much, I'm not entirely sure of the exact details of the conversation. All I wrote down on the back of a T.J. Maxx receipt was, "Washington, DC April 13th to 16th" and "Patagonia". I even needed to ask her to please repeat the information as my hand was shaking too much to write it down clearly. I was also informed I was allowed to tell close family/friends and my principal but please don't share the news beyond that yet. Wait, what? I had just been informed I was selected as a Grosvenor Teacher Fellow which is better than getting the Willy Wonka golden ticket and knock on the door from Publishers Clearing House all wrapped in one as this was something I applied and was selected for but I can't tell anyone yet. 

Sunday rolls around and I'm still literally on cloud nine to the point I actually start questioning if this is real.  Did that phone call really happen? Did I dream this up? Do I really get to explore Patagonia? I actually checked my phone to confirm I did in fact have a voicemail and did in fact have a phone call Friday afternoon. This was a dream big moment but it was luckily NOT a dream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment