Sunday, May 14, 2023

Base Camp

The 2023 Grosvenor Teacher Fellowship kicked off at the National Geographic Headquarters (aka Base Camp) in Washington, DC from April 13th-16th. The 2023 cohort which consisted of myself and 49 other educators from 24 United States, 5 Canadian provinces, and even the first fellow from Puerto Rico were able to meet for a fun-filled jammed-packed four days. 

2023 Grosvenor Teacher Fellows on the National Geographic Society Steps
📸Alexandra Daly-Clark

I'm not sure I can truly capture this experience with a few words and pictures. I can't capture the moment of walking into Headquarters and the feeling of immense privilege at being at the National Geographic Headquarters in recognition of what I do every day to empower my students. I can't adequately capture the enthusiasm and passion of all the educators in the room. I can't truly capture the knowledge and expertise that was shared with us by the National Geographic and Lindblad Expeditions staff. I can't capture the awe I experienced at each and every turn but I'm going to try and give you a glimpse.

The workshop commenced with a welcome reception. Upon walking in we were given swag bags (if you know a teacher you know we LOVE free things) and nametags with our expedition location. The room was a buzz as we were all so excited to finally meet our expedition partners and each other. Every fellow was enthusiastic and passionate about education which gave all of us endless things to discuss.
That's me (4th from the left) in the National Geographic logo with my expedition partner, Shannon, during the opening reception
📸Alexandra Daly-Clark
The next few days were filled with sessions to expand our teaching practice, prepare for our expeditions and continue to empower our students as planetary stewards. A major highlight for me was attending a breakout session with two members of the National Geographic Storytelling Team. They taught us about AR and VR technology and how to utilize it for an immersive experience. We were able to explore their 360 camera along with VR headsets where I was transported to the Okavango Delta which is home to half of the remaining savanna elephants. Given my expedition will be heading to some of the most remote locations in Patagonia, my wheels began turning thinking about how I could give my students and school community the immersive experience of Patagonia. Hopefully, more to come on that.
Immersive technology session with Veda Shastri and Ruben Rodriguez Perez, Immersive Producers at National Geographic. 
Although the immersive technology session was a highlight there were SO many highlights from my days at Base Camp. I attended two sessions on biomimicry, one with the head of the National Geographic Science and Innovation Team and one with past Grosvenor Teacher Fellow Daniel Kinzer (who began his session with a traditional Hawaiian chant). We took a Storytelling with Photograph session with National Geographic photographer, Alex Daly-Clark. She walked us through the process of taking photos to tell a story and shared with us (all through photos of course) the inspirational story of how all the food aboard the National Geographic Lindblad Expeditions in Galapagos is locally sourced. We became well-versed in the National Geographic Explorer Mindset Framework. We spent time with a Lindblad naturalist from the region we would be exploring, were able to Zoom with Sven Lindblad (one of the founders of the fellowship), learned from past fellows about their student action plans, and even had media training. 

From left to right. 1. Picture of nametag with welcome sign. 2. 📸 credit Daniel Kinzer of fellows outside Base Camp practicing after our photography session 3. Hawaiian chant: Purple Mai'a Oli. 4. Biomiarcy book iSites 

During our days at Base Camp, we were even able to tour the historic part of the National Geographic Headquarters. We sat at the table where the first ever National Geographic magazine was made meaning we were literally "in the room where it happens". We walked across the National Geographic bronze seal where countless explorers have walked before us. We saw the maps that donned the walls, floors, and even ceilings. I couldn't help but do a double take at the 1927 Map of Discovery by N.C. Wyeth on the wall while walking the stairs of the historic part of Base Camp. It was like being able to walk into a National Geographic magazine (talk about an immersive experience!).

From left to right. 1 📸 credit Susan Tate of fellows around National Geographic seal. 2. Fellows sitting at the table where the first National Geographic magazine was made 3. Map of Discovery in the historic part of Base Camp 

When I said I couldn't adequately capture the experience and knowledge I came home with I meant it. I left my four days at Base Camp connected to a new network of inspirational educators, filled with a plethora of new knowledge and a myriad of new ideas I'm inspired to implement with my students. This is truly just the tip of the iceberg.  

No comments:

Post a Comment